High technology and efficient service have made India a leading destination for medical tourists. They seek medical treatment for their ailment after they see the excellent facilities present in India. But, more importantly, they come to India for the inexpensive treatment.
Low cost surgery
The aortic valve replacement cost in India is only $5,670 while the same will cost $14, 320 in the US or the UK. The facilities in India is the same if not better that those present in abroad. All the medical tourists have acclaimed this point making more tourists to come to India.
Tests to find if surgery is needed
The changes in the heart valve is determined by tests. From the results of the tests, the physician can determine whether a heart surgery is required or not. To repair and replace the heart valve, the surgeon will use an open-heart surgery procedure such as these the coronary artery bypass surgery.
Conditions when a heart surgery is needed
The other conditions that need a heart surgery is when you have blood clots or bleeding infection. It is also needed for people who have had a previous surgery and the heart valve replacement is not working properly. At times, the heart may be affected by infection. This leads to the condition known as endocarditis. Here are the heart conditions that one can correct with surgery.
- Congenital heart valve diseases
- Aortic insufficiency
- Aortic stenosis
- Pulmonary valve stenosis
- Tricuspid regurgitation
- Tricuspid valve stenosis
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Chronic Mitral regurgitation
- Acute Mitral regurgitation
- Mitral stenosis
You get the best options for your heart valve problem in India since the heart valve replacement surgery cost in India is the lowest anywhere in the world. You can check this by going to the hospital website. They will give the list of doctors available for a needed procedure. You can pick one and fix an appointment.
Other needed procedures
In all cases where the heart valve can be repaired, the surgeon may perform one of more of the following procedures too.
- Commissurotomy: The valve openings are widened when the valve leaflets are fused.
- Patched leaflets: When the leaflets have holes and tears, the surgeon will use tissue to patch up the openings.
- Annulus support: The heart valve is supported by a tissue ring called the annulus. When this is too wide it needs to be reshaped and tightened. The surgeon does this by stitching a ring of tissue around the heart valve with tissue of synthetic material.
- Decalcification: In this procedure, the calcium deposits are removed from the leaflets.
- Leaflet reshape: This is needed when one of the leaflets is floppy. The surgeon may resort to sewing the leaflets together after cutting them to fit properly so that the valves now remain tightly closed. This procedure is called a quadrangular resection.
- Chordal transfer: Chordae is transferred from the posterior to the anterior leaflet when the anterior leaflet is floppy in the mitral valve. They do the quadrangular resection in the mitral valve prolapsed to repair the damage in the posterior leaf.
You need to undergo tests and submit to a medical check-up before the surgeon fixes the date for your surgery. He will ask you questions regarding the medications you take and your general fitness.